The licence to carry a firearm for personal use is called the Firearm User’s Licence. This licence allows an individual to own and carry a firearm in Jamaica.
The Firearm User’s Licence Application form may be downloaded from the link below or collected at any of our offices across the island.
A single application form should be completed in the Applicant’s own handwriting and delivered to any FLA Office with following supporting documents:
- Two (2) Passport photographs certified by a Justice of the Peace. NB: stamp should include the JP’s registration number. Photographs are to be taken on white background.
- Two (2) recommendations from any of the following categories of persons:
- Minister of Religion (must be a Marriage Officer)
- Justice of the Peace
- School Principal
- Gazetted Rank Police Officer (not below the rank of Deputy Superintendent)
- Medical Doctor
- Resident Magistrate
- Member of the J.D.F (Major and above)
- Member of Parliament
N.B. All recommendations are to be addressed to the Firearm Licensing Authority. Applicant must be known to the referee for at least five (5) years.
- Proof of Age (Passport or Birth Certificate. Original and Photocopy).
- Proof of Income (Original and Photocopy):
- If Employed, take pay slip or letter of employment. Forthnightly paid persons should submit the last six(6) payslips. Monthly paid persons should submit the last three(3) payslips.
- If Self-Employed/Business owners, take a valid Business Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) and a valid Individual Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) is required where the applicant is a business i.e. a Company, Sole Trader or Partnership.
- Original and Photocopy of both the Licence Fee Receipt and Fingerprint Receipt MUST accompany the application package.
- Members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force and Jamaica Defence Force are to submit a letter from their commanding officer (to be enclosed in a sealed envelope)
Method of Submission
All application Form(s) and supporting documents are to be submitted directly to the Firearm Licensing Authority at any of our locations across the island. Applications may be submitted in person or by registered mail.
All applicants are required to obtain a Fingerprint Receipt from any office of the Inland Revenue Department (Tax Office) and complete the fingerprinting process at the Criminal Records Office. The Criminal Records Office will indicate on the Fingerprint Receipt that the fingerprint process was completed. Said receipt MUST then accompany the application package.
Licence Fee Requirements
Licence Fee Receipt(s) is to be obtained at the Firearm Licensing Authority. Debit Card, Credit Card and cash transactions are accepted at the FLA. The application fee is JMD$12,000.
Recommendations and Authorization Letters issued more than 6 months prior to the submission of the application will NOT be accepted.